Saturday, January 16, 2010

Kids + Cleaning = Headache

I know kids are hardwired to hate chores. Boy do I know I did, but where is the line between slackers and being too demanding? I get to hear all about not paying your kids for chores and how chores should be enforced but in a positive way. Heck, chores are chores and even adults don't want to do them. So how am I suppose to get kids to help out?

During my girls' time away, I put together a chore chart for the kids to work with to earn rewards. Each chore has a ticket value amount and the rewards also have a ticket value. The kids get two tickets a day just for their regular morning school routine; like getting up from bed in time without whining and getting out to the bus without my constant nagging. I figured this was a good amount for Nick who likes to play video games and so forth. Plus I built in larger rewards for Jasmine to work toward like a sleep over with a friend.

My question to that one....do you think it will work out? I know there is some work on my part but if this helps me with the constant nagging for them to help around the house and helping curb the excessive video/computer game time I can suffer through the handing out the tickets. I had tried working the allowance thing like Suzie Orman said to do with Jasmine, because I don't believe just handing out money to the kids for whatever. I think there should be some responsibility to how it is earned and spent, but once Jasmine found out that she would have to work to buy things she realized quickly she didn't want to buy anything. Then she found a way to get Grandma and Grandpa to buy them or Chris would just give her money. He doesn't think kids should do chores for money.

I am not saying I am having the kids work to get their essential things in life, but if Jasmine wants a pack of gum or more Bella Sara cards, why not work then. I am not making them work to get food on the table or to have toothpaste to use, but if they want the fancy toothpaste maybe.



I figured if I tie their rewards to what they wanted to do everyday then they would maybe do a chore or two because they could get instant rewards. I hope this works because watching the dirt and grim build up is frustrating. Plus I know it will only get worse once we get into the addition. Plus I remember growing up having a list of chores that I was in charge of doing when extra help is needed and I think that is okay too. There is no reason kids can't help out when extra help is needed because something special might be happening too without getting a reward. I hope I don't fall into the dread, "well do I get a ticket for doing that" scenario.


No comments:

Post a Comment